Girls Lacrosse: Recaps

 Posts 1 - 2 of 2

April 4, 2017
Girls Lacrosse: Tigers Roar Out of the Gate

Ipswich came out with intensity and gave an outstanding effort from start to finish. Despite driving rain, wind, and cold temperatures the Tigers accomplished their goal of defeating North Andover for the first time in 7+ years, doubling up the Scarlet Knights 14-7.

Playing on their new turf field, the Tigers were led by Julia Glavin's 7 goals on the offensive end as she dissected the opponent's zone defense. Chloe Rogers and Kelsey Daly used their speed to control loose ball pickups and transition the ball cleanly up the field. Freshman Annie Gillis established herself as a player to watch, using her speed in transitions and off the draw to place 3 smart shots in the back of the net.

Also contributing to the scoring were Delaney Whooley (3 goals, 1 assist) and Caitlyn Stevens (1g). Daly, Meghan O'Connor, and Emma Moulton each had an assist.

On the defensive end of the field, Emily Martineau played an exceptional game in goal, collecting 15 saves and clearing the ball with excellent calm and control. 

March 30, 2017
Girls Lacrosse: Lady Chieftains Fall in Opener

Losing your starting goalie two minutes into your opener is not a great way to start the season, but that is what happened to Masconomet this afternoon. Backup goalie Quinn Bennett took over in net, and after a rough start got stronger as the game went on, making 5 great stops when the game was on the line. Unfortunately the Chieftains ended up falling to Acton-Boxboro 11-10 in triple overtime.

Jordyn Tveter led the team in goals scored with 3, while co-captain Grace Fahey led in points with 2 goals and 4 assists, and co-captain Kaitlyn Waystack popped in 2. Freshmen Liv McCarthy (1G) and Liz Evans (2G) each recorded their first varsity goals.

The Chieftains defense played tough, with Nicole Amyouny and Marissa Karras leading the way. Tara Gallagher, a freshman, made a great pick off late in the game on defense and played solidly throughout.

Masco coach Al McCarthy said the team came away "feeling very positive despite the result and we know there's a lot of season left to improve. I loved our fight and resolve, we were carded twice and played man down for 4 minutes, and yet through it all, we still had a chance at the end. But give A-B credit, they got the game winner late in the 3rd OT."

The Chieftains (0-1) next play this coming Tuesday at Notre Dame (Hingham), with a 6:00 PM start time.

 Posts 1 - 2 of 2